What are enzymes?
Enzymes are the “spark of life.” The human body is made up of trillions of enzymes that are responsible for every function from blinking to yawning to digesting food. There are over 20 different enzymes involved in the digestive process starting with salivary amylase in the mouth. In the early 20th century, Dr. Edward Howell’s extensive research on enzymes and health revealed the importance of maintaining enzyme reserves through raw foods and supplementation. Digestive enzyme supplements are comprised of the enzymes specifically used in the digestive process. Karyn’s Kare Digestive Enzyme is a proprietary blend of enzymes and botanicals that works synergistically to ensure decreased digestive distress and maximum nutrient availability while also providing vitamins and minerals.
If my body already has enzymes why do I need to supplement?
The enzymes that are active in your digestive system are designed to operate under optimal digestive conditions. Anything outside of these conditions can lead to inadequate enzyme secretion and eventually to most of the ailments we suffer from. Enzyme supplements work symbiotically with your digestive process and help preserve the body’s natural supply of enzymes- improving energy, vitality and even prolonging your life. When food is heated above 118 degrees, the enzymes are destroyed and the body must use its own supply of enzymes in digestion. Research has shown a dramatic improvement in health and longevity when food is digested using its own naturally occurring enzymes but this is only possible when food is eaten raw. For people who don’t incorporate enough, if any, raw foods in their diet, enzyme supplementation is extremely important. Even people following the healthiest diets can benefit from enzyme supplementation due to the many factors that can contribute to digestive problems. Karyn, who eats a diet comprised of 99% raw vegan foods, still takes about 20 enzymes a day.
What are factors that contribute to less than optimal digestion?
- Lack of proper chewing (not chewing food to a liquid)
- Combining foods that require different digestion time
- Eating too fast and too much
- Processed and overcooked foods
- Chewing gum
- Antibiotics, antacids, birth control pills and other medications that can destroy gut flora and compromise digestive tract health
- Undigested food overwhelms the enzymatic and hormonal responses leading to possible auto-immune diseases and food allergies
What is special about Karyn’s enzymes?
Karyn’s enzymes were formulated with Viktoras Kulvinskas, M.S., an expert in holistic nutrition, raw foods and enzyme supplementation. Viktoras is responsible for researching and reintroducing the work of Dr. Howell into the modern health movement and is a leading expert on enzyme nutrition. Karyn’s Kare Digestive Enzyme is a one of a kind formula designed to support digestion in those eating any type of diet including the typical Standard American Diet (SAD) high in protein, carbohydrates and fat but low in important micronutrients. Not only will these enzymes help in the digestive process, they will also help ensure that the maximum amount of available nutrition is obtained from the food consumed. Karyn’s Enzymes are a completely vegetarian formula allowing for more durability in the acidic environment of the gastrointestinal tract.
Are there any risks associated with taking enzymes?
Karyn likes to joke that there has never been a reported case of an enzyme overdose. However, it is always best to consult a doctor or trusted health care practitioner before adding any new supplement to your diet. Karyn’s Kare Digestive Enzymes are an all natural plant based food that are safe for people of all ages. If you are losing more weight than you’d like or experience diarrhea it’s best to reduce the amount of enzymes you are taking. If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, consult with your doctor before taking this product.
About the Formulation:
Proteolytic, carbohydrolytic, and lipolytic enzymes are included to create a proprietary enzyme blend that can handle the digestive demands placed on the body by today’s fast paced lifestyle.
- Proteolytic enzymes are used to help digest protein to produce amino acids and di- and tri-peptides, which are used to build muscles, metabolic enzymes, neurotransmitters, and many other essential biochemicals.
- Carbohydrases are designed to enable a person to properly digest and receive the maximum nutrient benefit available from their carbohydrate intake.
- Lipase can help the body to properly digest the excessive fat being eaten in today’s typical high fat diet. Considerable digestive distress and even malabsorption of nutrients such as vitamins A and E can result from improper fat digestion.
- The enzymes found in Karyn’s enzymes, specifically alpha-galactosidase and lactase, will help decrease gas and bloating and may help relieve lactose intolerance.
This product also contains botanical ingredients that add nutrients to the diet and further aid digestion.
- Kamut® grass is rich in vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids, amino acids, and enzymes.
- Blue-Green Algae are a nutritious source of beta-carotene, essential fatty acids, B vitamins, chelated minerals, amino acids, chlorophyll, and enzymes. Blue-green algae contain all ten essential amino acids and are some of the richest whole-food sources of vitamin A, carotenoids, vitamin B-12, chlorophyll, omega fatty acids, and phytonutrients.
- Kelp is a rich source of B vitamins as well as many naturally chelated minerals.
- Gentian has a long history of use as a popular gastric stimulant and digestive aid.
- Cayenne is a useful supplement for digestive support.
How do I take digestive enzymes?
For optimal results, take right before or during a meal. The recommended amount varies based on food consumed and weight loss goals. In the event of over-eating or digestive distress after a meal, it’s best to mix powdered enzymes (or open capsules) with water and drink.