When introducing someone to healthful foods, always prepare something delicious.
Everyone loves pancakes, so what better way to introduce your family to vegan food than with these rich and tempting hotcakes.
- 2 cups pastry flour or cake flour
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups soy milk
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar or 3⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon egg replacer
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons vegan buttery spread
- 2 bananas, sliced
- Sift the flours, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl.
- Pour the soy milk, brown sugar, oil, egg replacer, and vanilla extract into a blender.
- Process until thoroughly mixed, stopping occasionally to scrape down the blender jar.
- Gradually pour the soy milk mixture into the flour mixture, whisking constantly, until smooth.
- Heat 1⁄2 teaspoon of the vegan buttery spread in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. (The skillet is the correct temperature when a drop of water sizzles in the pan.)
- Pour about 1⁄2 cup of the batter into the pan.
- Cook for about 1 minute, or until the center of the pancake begins to bubble.
- Place a few banana slices on top and turn the pancake over with a spatula.
- Cook another minute, or until golden brown.
- Repeat with the remaining batter and banana slices, adding 1⁄2 teaspoon of vegan buttery spread to the pan before cooking each pancake.
Yield: 10 (6-iunce) pancakes; 5 Servings