Soak Your Nuts Karyn’s Conscious Comfort Foods: Page 27
- 2 butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup cooked garbanzo beans, drained & dried
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon raw sugar
- 2(28-ounce) cans of coconut milk
- Water as needed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside. Slice off the steams of the squash. Cut the squash in half lengthwise. Remove and discard the seeds. Place the squash halves cut-side down on the prepared baking sheet. Roast for 1 ½ hours, or until the squash is very soft. Let cool to room temperature.Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium skillet on medium heat. (The skillet is the correct temperature when a drop of water sizzles in the pan.) Add the garbanzo beans. Cook and stir for about 5 minutes, or until they are browned. Drain the garbanzo beans. Transfer them to a medium bowl with the paprika, ½ teaspoon of the salt, and sugar. Mix well. Set aside.
- Peel the squash halves and put them in a large saucepan. Add the coconut milk. Simmer on medium heat for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Transfer the squash mixture to a blender. Process on high speed for about 2 minutes, or until smooth, stopping occasionally to scrape down the blender jar. Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of water as needed to thin the soup as desired. Season with more salt to taste. Ladle into serving bowls. Top each serving with some of the garbanzo beans.
yield: 8 servings