“El gallo bravo” is Spanish for “the angry rooster,” but don’t let that scare you.
This drink is as refreshing as it is enjoyable.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 to 3 slices jalape–o chile
- 11Ú4 cup ice cubes
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons club soda
- To make the pineapple simple syrup, cook the sugar and water in a small saucepan on high heat until it starts to boil and the sugar dissolves, stirring constantly.
- Add the pineapple juice and boil for another minute. Let cool.
- Crush the cilantro and jalape–o slices with the back of a spoon or a muddler in a cocktail shaker. Add 3/4 cup of the ice cubes, lime juice, and 2 tablespoons of the pineapple simple syrup. Cover and shake for a couple of seconds. Put the remaining 1/2 cup of the ice cubes in a Collins glass. Strain the cocktail into the prepared glass. Add the club soda.
- Stir gently. Serve immediately.
Note: Stored in a covered container in the refrigerator, the pineapple simple syrup will keep for 6 months.
Variation: Add 1/4 cup of tequila