Lucuma powder is derived from the subtropical fruit native to Peru, Chile and Ecuador. Traditionally known as the “Gold of the Incas” due to its’ anti-inflammatory, antifungal, antibiotic and skin boosting attributes, lucuma is not well known outside South America, but is gaining worldwide popularity as a natural gluten-free sugar substitute.
Here are 6 reasons why you should be incorporating Lucuma into your diet:
- Healing: Research from the State University of New Jersey shows that lucuma promotes wound healing, tissue regeneration and induces cell migration.
- High mineral content: lucuma supplies 14 essential trace elements including high levels of potassium, sodium, calcium, magnesium and phosphorus.
- High levels of beta-carotene: essential for eye health & skin elasticity.
- Niacin or B3 essential for energy production.
- Iron: a critical factor in oxygen transport.
- Fiber: lucuma is high in fiber that helps to clear the colon of waste.
How to use:
- The easiest way to include this superfood into your diet is to start with a 1Tbsp of powder into a smoothie or use it to make vegan ice cream.