Vegan Desserts: YUM!
I’ve submitted my DELICIOUS vegan desserts to be apart of a SHAPE.com feature on “I can’t-believe-it’s-healthy-and-vegan” dessert recipes. I’ve submitted both raw and cooked vegan desserts including my mouthwatering Pecan Pie from Karyn’s Cooked and my Raw Apple Pie from Karyn’s Fresh Corner. The best part about these guilt-free recipes is that they’re so easy to make at home! Go ahead, try them, then let me know what you think!
From Karyn’s Fresh Corner
You can serve this pie with a scoop of hemp ice cream and have yourself an American Classic with a raw twist.
- 4 cups raisins
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, thinly cubed
- 3 red apples, peeled, thinly cubed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 2 cups cashews, soaked for 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- To make the crust, soak the dates in enough water to cover for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, put the almonds and pecans in a food processor. Process until pulverized. Transfer the nut mixture to a large bowl.
- Drain the dates. Put them in the blender. Process until well chopped. Add them to the nut mixture with the coconut. Mix well with your hands and transfer it to a 10-inch pie pan. Press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Dehydrate at 115 degrees for 2 hours.
- To make the filling, put 3 cups of the raisins in a blender. Process to a paste, stopping occasionally to scrape down the blender jar. Transfer it to a large bowl with the apples. Stir in the remaining 1 cup of the raisins, cinnamon, and lime juice. Pour the filling into the pie crust and smooth the top with the back of a spoon. Wash and dry the blender jar.
- To make the frosting, drain and rinse the cashews. Put them in the blender with the water and honey. Process until it becomes smooth and creamy with no lumps, stopping occasionally to scrape down the blender jar. Spread the frosting evenly over the top of the pie. Refrigerate for 4 hours before serving.
Yield: 1 (10-inch) pie
From Karyn’s Cooked
- 1/2 cup soy creamer
- 1/2 cup turbinado sugar
- 1/2 cup cashew butter
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 ounce corn starch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons egg replacer
- 1/2 cup ground raw pecans
- 5 cups raw pecans
- 1 (8-inch) pie crust
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix all ingredients together in a food processor.
- Make the crust by pressing raw pecans into pan.
- Pour mixture into pan then top with more pecans.
- Bake for twenty minutes.
Yield: 1 (8-inch) pie
This will win everyone over at your next holiday party.