Many people making the change from the standard American diet to a plant based diet often look for vegan alternatives for many of their favorites dishes. A good BBQ sauce is essential for a transitioning diet. I use it in many of my popular dishes like my BBQ Seitan Sandwich and my mouth-watering Slab o’ Tofu Ribs.
This recipe is simple to make and stored refrigerated in a glass jar will keep for at least one month.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (28-ounce) can Roma tomatoes
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- Heat the oil in a large skillet on medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic. Decrease the heat to low.
- Cook for about 25 minutes, or until the onion is dark brown, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the tomatoes, brown sugar, and vinegar.
- Simmer for 40 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a blender.
- Process until smooth, stopping occasionally to scrape down the blender jar.
- Store in a glass jar and keep refrigerated.