Soak Your Nuts Karyn’s Conscious Comfort Foods
Raw Vegan Page 46
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 cup macadamia nuts
- 4 cups chopped baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt plus more to taste
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 large turnips, peeled
- Raw Marinara Sauce (page 55)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil (optional)
- Soak the cashews and macadamias in separate bowls in enough water to cover for 2 hours. Put the spinach in a large ziplock bag. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the oil and sprinkle with 1⁄2 teaspoon of the salt. Gently toss the spinach with your hands. Close the bag and set aside for 10 minutes, or until the spinach is soft. Drain and rinse the cashews and macadamias. Put them in a food processor with the lemon juice and garlic. Process until smooth, stopping occasionally to scrape down the work bowl. If the mixture seems too thick, add about 1⁄2 cup water and process again. Transfer the cashew cheese to a large bowl. Mix in the spinach. Set aside.
To make the ravioli, slice the turnips into very thin rounds on a mandolin or in a food processor. Transfer to a large bowl. Sprinkle a few slices with salt. Gently massage them with your hands to soften them slightly. Repeat until all the turnip slices have been salted and massaged. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand for 5 minutes to soften further.
- Put a dollop of the spinach filling in the center of a turnip slice. Fold the slice over to form a ravioli and gently press the edges closed. Repeat with the remaining turnip slices and filling.
- Serve the ravioli with the Raw Marinara sauce or drizzle with the optional olive oil if desired.