Rejuvelac is instant energy—the “Gatorade” of the health-conscious—taken for its full complex of B vitamins and its ability to develop friendly bacteria in the digestive tract. I drink it plain, and I also use it as a base for other beverages. You can also find this recipe in Karyn’s Soak Your Nuts: Karyn’s Conscious Comfort Foods and Soak Your Nuts: Cleansing with Karyn on pages 13 and 106 respectively.
- 3⁄4 cup sprouted wheat berries (see How to Sprout)
- 2 quarts water, plus more to blend wheat berries
- Day 1:Put the wheat berries in a blender. Add enough water to cover the berries by 2 inches. Process for 20 seconds, or until the wheat berries are ground but still have some texture. (They should be grainy but not a fine powder.) Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Add the remaining 2 quarts of water. Cover the bowl with a piece of cheesecloth or paper towel. Let stand overnight at room temperature.
- Day 2:Stir the mixture with a spoon for 5 to 10 seconds. Cover. Let stand overnight at room temperature.
- Day 3:Repeat Day 2.
- Day 4:Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer into glass jars. Stored in covered containers, Rejuvelac will keep for 2 weeks.